Wednesday, September 3, 2008

August 24, 2008 - Dear McGee,

Dear McGee,
I started a letter to you the day your sons Ryan & Cole were born. In it I wondered what parts of our childhood you would pass down to your children. Would your Jewish children celebrate Santa Clause? Would they be told that you learned all your incredible tricks in The Orient? Would you teach them poker at an early age and would they be the only ones in the neighborhood playing Hit the Penny?

Like many of my good intentions, that letter never got completed.

Four years later I have two sons of my own and you've added a daughter. As much as I wonder what you'll pass on, I'm more focused on what I'm going to do. Mom and dad gave us a lot of good and some bad. Somehow we need to filter it for the next generation. It would be nice if we could call a Time Out so we can make a plan before these kids get too old. Sometimes I feel like I'm winging it and that I'm messing up.

I didn't care if Lentil was a boy or girl. However, the reality of having a second son is bringing back many childhood brother memories. I remember the three of us goofing around in the back seat of the various station wagons on the annual summer road trip. I remember the constant competition between us in every real and made up game -- especially over who had to sit in the middle when we didn't have a station wagon with the third seat. I remember the jokes about eating your shrimp, who is bigger on top and cliches. I remember how excited you were to come visit me at college (and how drunk I got you). I remember beating you up after Kenny beat me up and how you felt bad mainly because you didn't have a little brother to beat up.

I'm looking forward to seeing how our childhood plays out in our children.

No comments: