Wednesday, September 3, 2008

August 23, 2008 - Dear Irma,

Dear Irma,
You're incredible.

You're incredible not only because you were strong for 36 hours of labor, not only because you carried this beautiful boy, not only because you've been a wonderful mother to our other son and not only because you've helped bring out the best in me.

You're incredible because you believe it's all possible and you make it
seemingly effortlessly so.

I didn't have any clue that when I walked into your popsicle shop so many years ago that I'd end up with all this. When I saw you behind the counter I felt something strange and wonderful. It was so powerful that I ran away from it (and you) for a long time. Eventually I gave in -- we both gave in -- and eventually we ended up on a bridge saying I dos.

We talked about children as part of the 15 Topics to Discuss before Marriage. We both wanted them and we both thought that two would be the perfect number considering our ages. We also agreed that we should go for it right away.

We got it all. We got the perfect wedding, the dream African honeymoon and now the two children we talked about.

I know life with me sometimes isn't perfectly easy. Yet I know that our life together has been magically imperfectly perfect.

I also know that these two boys of ours are going to be something else.

I remember saying way back when Max was just a few months old that I felt he knew everything and was just testing us. Now he's two-years and three-months old and I'm more in awe with him every day. He's smart. He's athletic. He loves to learn. He's beautiful. And best of all -- as you've taught me -- he's happy.

And now he has a brother.

Two boys of course reminds me of my brothers. I saw him come out of your belly and I had flashbacks of my childhood and flash-forwards to seeing him and Max running and playing and doing all the stuffs I did with my brothers as a child.

I also can't stop thinking about my father.
I thought more about my dad during this pregnancy than I did during the first few months after he died.Our son is the second son of a second son of a second son. Our son's birthday is also just 11 days from my dad's. And this is the first -- and likely only -- grandchild that my dad will never have met.

I missed my dad during Lentil's birth even though there were so many people there.

The delivery and waiting rooms were filled with family and friends. This is another thing you taught me: if it were up to me, I'd have been alone with you through it all; I'm glad I didn't make that decision because I would screwed up the best Birthday Party ever!

You're incredible because you hosted this party while going through labor.

I know a bit about pain: I've run marathons, played football and rode a bike through the Ozarks in the middle of the summer.

I still have no idea how you went 36 hours without any medication, little food and no sleep.

The fact that you were giving instructions and pep talks to your team of helpers through it all didn't totally surprise me. You are after all a producer!

"C'mon team," you said right near the end. "We can do this!"

I wanted to massage you, hold your hand and tell you things to calm you down during the pain and motivate you to push when necessary. I know I did a bit of all of it. Yet, all I remember was watching our baby make his way out of your belly and into this world.

Max's birth was beautiful in its way. We were together; I held your hand and rubbed your head. Miles Davis was playing and the lights were low. The c-section didn't seem to matter. When the doctors pulled Max out and I saw this crying baby with outstretched arms and legs I was in awe.

This birth was beautiful in its way. Friends and family were there. You morphed into an animal, athlete and zen master at the perfect moments. The team was strong, funny and comforting. And our baby remained calm until he popped out.

I wanted you to hold our baby when I told you whether we had a son or a daughter. I wanted to make a big annoncement full of suspense.

However, when our baby came out, I was in awe. "It's a boy," I said as he fell into the midwife's arms.

We have two sons. We are a family . We got what we wanted. Our life has
been and will be incredible.

No comments: