Wednesday, September 3, 2008

August 24, 2008 - Dear Kenny,

Dear Kenny,
I'm glad that you were in the delivery room for awhile and I'm sorry if I didn't make it more clear that you were welcome to stay. I'm sure you were a bit confused when you walked in and saw all those people in the room. We didn't plan for the delivery to turn into a party. But that seems to be the way things go in this family. We ended up with people giving massages, advice and encouragement and others taking video and still photos. In addition, of course, there was the two midwifes and the nurse.

I'm glad you got to experience at least part of the birth of your nephew. I know you saw part of the laboring including some of Irma's screaming. I know you weren't in the room for the actual birth. I just wanted you to know that seeing you in the room for at least a moment helped me. In a selfish/egotistical way it allowed me to be proud: this was my wife and my child I was showing off to you and the world.

The result: Max has a brother. I didn't care if Lentil was to be a boy or girl. Perhaps it'll now be a bit easier for me since I know the brother relationship. I know it and I'm happy for it. Brothers are incredible things. Growing up their best friends, fiercest rivals and biggest critics. As adults, they help validate your past and give meaning to your common stories.

We've certainly had our ups and downs. Yet despite it all, we're together. I'm glad I have you as a brother and glad Max and Lentil have each other.

No comments: