Wednesday, March 31, 2010

April 27, 2010 - Dear Alex

Dear Alex,
Once again I feel like I've fallen behind on your blog. Life is busy that way. Perhaps I should have created a weekly blog for you like your brother. That format forces me to do the updates. (I shouldn't say "forces" because I enjoy this!).


So who are you at 20 months?


You're this incredible being.

Today mama and I marveled at your ingenuity. You made it clear you wanted the keys we keep on the fireplace mantle. I gave them to you and then you proceeded to move the ottoman next to the door so you could stand on it and try to put the key in the lock.


How do you know to do these things?


How do you know in the mornings to bring me my shoes or Max's shoes or find your own shoes?

You've discovered the patterns of life and our way of being and you've not only fit in you've proved your ready for the next lesson.


"Remind me that The Twos don't last forever," mama said to me yesterday.

You're not a Terrible Two at Twenty Months. But you are a determined little boy who won't let his youngest-in-the-family status get in the way of whatever you want.

And you're also this incredibly cuddly kid. I love seeing you light up when mama brings you to my work or when I come home. Your big blue eyes sparkle at moments like that. And I know it doesn't sound good, but I love it when you get a bit scared and you reach for my hand or reach your hands high in the air asking me to pick you up.
I know how to make you laugh. Even when you're crying this little trick works. I pick you up and put your belly on my head. Not sure what it does for you. But you laugh every time.

Your brother loves to cuddle you too. Max is so protective and caring for you it's incredible. Sitters all comment on how Max comes to your side if you show any fuss. "It's okay Alex," he says mimicking what I say to you both in times of comfort.

Your determination also is apparent as you learn everything. You understand everything in English and Spanish. Your speaking more and more words and even saying a few phrases. You say "mama, papa, Max, bubbles, agua" and others. Remarkably you also say "aqua de coco." Most exciting to mama you say "mama amo."


You've also shown us that you know French. Julie has spent about an hour with you four times or so. Already you're showing us that you understand what she says.


You're amazing. That's who you are!

No comments: