Sunday, December 7, 2008

November 22, 2008 - Dear Alex and Max,

Dear Alex and Max,
Today I got another reminder of how hard parenting is. Max was pushing the buttons on a train set at the Science Center. Another boy ran up to where Max was playing and stood right next to him. It was obvious that the boy wanted to push the buttons. "Let the boy have a turn," I told Max. When Max didn't immediately let the boy push the buttons, I told Max again a little more forcefully. The third time Max walked away.

I did something similar later when another child wanted to play with whatever it was Max had.

I thought about it all and realized what I was doing. I was teaching my son that it wasn't okay to get what he wanted. I also realized that that is one of my personality traits: I don't grab stuff; I wait for others to recognize my stregnths. I also realized how much I don't like this about myself.

I learned something today. Hopefully it'll make me a better dad.

No comments: