Tuesday, December 30, 2008

December 24, 2008 Dear Santa Claus,

Dear Santa Claus,
It's fun to think of you again. This was Alex's first Christmas and the first one Max seemed to understand what it was all about. Max was excited to see you ate some of the snacks we left out and that you left him a note. He, of course, also liked the drum you left.

Just before nap time on Christmas Eve I explained again to Max about Santa and Christmas. As he was falling asleep he said "Santa is coming to my house tonight."

Without really thinking about it I've recreated my childhood Christmas's. All the stuffed animals come out to wait for Santa. Snacks are left. And Santa replies to it all with a note.

I'm going to have to ask my mom why a Jewish family got in the habit of celebrating Santa. And I'd love to know from my dad how he got into leaving reindoor paws in the snow and writing the Santa letters (I do know it wasn't a struggle to make it look like Santa ate the cookies we left out for him).

Last year when Max was a year-and-a-half, it was darn cute to see him just as excited to see the animals out in the living room as it was to see the toy kitchen Santa left him. First he jumped into the animals' lap. Finally he looked across the room at his toy kitchen.

This year Hannuakah and Christmas overlapped. As non-religious as I am, I enjoyed teaching Max to light the candles and say the prayer. By night eight, it was Max who insisted we light the candles before opening presents.

So Santa, thanks for the presents, letters and memories. And thanks for now being back for my kids!

No comments: