Friday, October 5, 2012

November 4, 2011 Dear man at post office,


Dear man at post office,
We met you today at the post office in the Frist Center when we went to get passports for our December cruise.  My boys got a bit bored with all the waiting so they went out to the lobby and did their dancing, running and messing around.

You, a 60ish gentleman in a suit, seemed to enjoy watching them do their thing.  You perhaps stayed longer than you needed to.  You smiled as you watched my guys cause a bit of a ruckus.

"They remind me of two boys I used to know," you said.

And it hit me once again.  My five- and three-year-old boys won't be this size forever.  They'll grow into teenagers with stinky arm pits, college students with student loans and perhaps spouses with children of their own.  And it really isn't all that far away.  Just 13 years before Max is off to college and a couple more for Alex.

I adore these boys and love seeing them learn about the world.  They can tire me out.  Yet the mostly inspire me to be my best.

I hope I always remember these boys as they are right now.

And I hope seeing my boys helped you remember yours a little bit better.

Thanks for giving me a reminder to be truly with them 'cause they won't be who they are right now for very long.

No comments: