Friday, September 25, 2009

September 18, 2009 Dear Spirit World,

Dear Spirit World,

What you doing to me?


First all those strange connections with my dad and my family and now a connection to my friend Dave.


I met Dave when I was about 11 and we were on the same Trojan Youth Basketball team. One game Dave got the opening tip off, drove to the basket, shot and missed. I got the rebound, shot and - being the basketball star I was - scored.
Trouble was, it was the wrong basket.

Dave died a few days ago. I went to Chicago on Thursday for the funeral.


On Friday at reading time, Max picked a book of silly poems to read. It's called "Oops" and he calls it "the poops book." It's a fairly long book. So when we read it I skip through at random and try to find the "age appropriate" poems.


The day after burrying my old friend, I randomly came across this poem that begins:


Foul Bawl by Alan Katz The score was tied. Dave passed the ball. I squeezed it with both hands I dribbled and then shot it high. A great hush filled the stands. The ball went in! Man, what a toss! The whole team blew a gasket! A perfect shot, except that it was our opponent's basket.

No comments: