Thursday, July 30, 2009

July 29, 2009 Dear Alex,

Dear Alex,
I fell in love with you tonight.

Of course I've loved you from the start. But just like your brother I needed a moment to hit me over the head to tell me that this little boy is my life.

Tonight you're sick. You got some sort of hive from crawling around on a rug. You were acting a bit strange. You couldn't sleep. You wrestled in mama's arms. You played. You were very uncomfortable. As much as we don't like to give you medicine, we gave you a bit of Benadryl.

Mama and I sat on the couch with you rotating between us. I held you. I looked into your eyes and I saw a look that scared the hell out of me and I knew then that I loved you.

You were absent.

Your charm. Your happy nature. Your curiosity. Everything about you was gone.

"Don't go," I said.

A minute later you were smiling and I breathed a bit easier.

Then I got the look again.

It's 1:46am. You've been in your crib a couple hours. Mama's upstairs asleep.

I'm awake checking on your breathing every so often.

No comments: