Monday, March 16, 2009

March 13, 2009 - Dear X Boys,

Dear X Boys,
Your mom and I talked about lots of stuff before we got married: stuffs about how we wanted to live, how we wanted to raise children and what we wanted to do with our lives.

We knew we wanted you both to have a more creative and better school experience than at least I had.

We just never really expected to be putting our children in full-time, private school as early as three-years old.

However, today we wrote the check, signed the forms thus committing ourselves to sending Max to Montessori school this fall. We're darn excited about it and a bit overwhelmed with the responsibility. We visited two Montessori and one Walforf school before settling on Abintra. We looked at and debated such issues as location, foreign language programs and school diversity. We're not 100% convinced this school or even our decision to send him full-time is the best decision. We do feel good that we made an informed decision.

School bored me. My dad taught me to think through math and logic problems. My mom taught me to explore my creative side. Both taught me to do things myself. The lesson at school was to conform and memorize. I did just enough at school to get my B average. I was bored.

I'd love to feel good about putting you in local public schools. However, the more I look at these schools and the more I hear about this cray No Child Left Behind program, the more commited I am to finding something different for you. Children don't need to take tests and tests.

I know school can be so much more. I had one professor in college and one more recently who taught Spanish that got me excited about learning. They didn't simply lecture, hand us a textbook and give us a test. They challenged me and made it all interesting.

I want you both to be happy reaching your potential.

I want you both to have a life-long interest in learning.

I want you both to follow your own passion.

I want you both to be confident in wha you do and comfortable with your achievementsl.

I watch you both be so excited every day in your play, exploration and learning. I want this excitement to last forever.

I'm not 100% positive this is the right school or right program.

I am 100% pledged to finding what is right.

2 comments:

Chef John said...

That is one sweet and dedicated papa!

I wish you well in the search-- and hope we can follow in your footsteps

Unknown said...

You are so blessed and I kvell knowing how happy and fulfilled and challenged and energized you are. John said it well....you are one sweet and dedicated papa!
Love and hugs from your Mom