Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dear X-Boys, March 19, 2009

Dear X-Boys,
Today I closed the hatchback of my car on Max's hand. In one of those life turned into slow-motion moments, I saw Max's face as I closed the door and there was nothing I could do but look into his eyes and feel terrified about what I was about to do.

Being a parent is an incredible wonderful responsibility that continuously amazes, thrills and scares me. Max has learned to tell me that my job as papa is "to protect me." I promise to do the best I can.

Max's hand was fine (even after I spent much of the next hour at Bongo Java icing the wrong hand).

Yet the incident made me think about all the ways I influence you and all the stuff I want to protect you both from. I frequently have flash forwards of stuff that could happen to you: falls, hit by cars, kidnappings, etc. And in some more reflective moments I think about the mental stuff I want to protect you from as well. I don't need to list all my issues. Let's just say I want to protect you from those too.

No comments: