Tuesday, November 2, 2010

November 2, 2010 - Dear Alex,

Dear Alex,
Today I had one of my best moments with you.


Mama and Max left for school. You and I were supposed to go to the gym before I dropped you at Miss Leslie's, like I do most Tuesdays and Thursdays.
However, you had other plans.

Perhaps it was a delayed Halloween hangover or something that made you so tired. You walked into the bedroom and pointed to the bed. At first I thought you wanted your beloved Mickey Mouse. I soon realized what you wanted.
"You want to lay down?" I asked. You nodded. "I'll lay down with you," I said. So I did. And you did too.

You laid right next to me face to face. You let me put my arm around you and held you close. You just stared at me. I told you how incredible you are. I told you how you're such a good learner, such an active boy and how much you love your family. I told you how proud I am of you, how I love watching your brain work, how I love watching you and your brother interact, how he teaches you and then suddenly he's following you.

I told you how your brother will be your best friend forever and how he'll protect you and laugh with you.

I told you how much I love that you're such a happy boy.


And you rubbed my chin just like Max loves to do when he's sleepy.


And I said "Ok Alex. It's time to close your eyes."
And you closed your eyes and fell asleep.

A few minutes later I started to get up to leave and you said "Daddy here." And I stayed.


An hour later, I woke up. Another 15 minutes later you woke up.

I never made it to the gym. You made it to Miss Leslie's 30 minutes late.


It was a great morning!

No comments: