Sunday, June 14, 2009

May 14, 2009 Dear Van Man,

Dear Van Man,

Thanks for stopping by a few days after you scared the hell out of me to apologize. I'm sure you had the right intentions when you stopped to tell Max to move away from the street. But you scared the hell out of me that day.


I never thought I was the paranoid type. But when you stopped, rolled down the window and said something to my three-year-old son I freaked out. I watched the whole thing from my side porch where I was putting away a stroller while Max played in the front yard. He never left my site for a second.

I saw your van stop.

I saw the window go down.

And I sprinted toward the van as it pulled away.

You stopped.

You explained that you were just trying to be nice by telling this small boy to get away form the street.

I said "you better have" and memorized your license plate number.


Later that evening I told my wife what happened. She thought it was important for me to call the police. They came by after our boys were sleeping. They assured me that it was most likely just as you said it was: someone trying to be helpful.

But I've seen the shows and my wife has produced the TV shows that have little kids disappearing in just these type incidents.
So I freaked. And I held that feeling for a few days.

Then you came back a few days later and apologized and pointed out that you live just a few doors down the street. You told me you thought about the incident too and that you have a granddaughter and if you were in my position you'd likely have reacted even stronger.


I accept your apology.

I also accept my reaction.

And I feel bad that I don't know more of my neighbors.

No comments: